SAILING HOLIDAYS –MONOHULL SAILING YACHT or SAILING CATAMARAN?
It is time to start planning your sailing vacation. If you wish to charter a yacht for you holidays and are not sure whether you want a sailing catamaran or a monohull sailing yacht, you need to weigh the pros and cons of each to see what makes more sense for your purposes. Both types of yachts are perfect, for different reasons. The sizes and types of sailing Catamarans for charter and sailing yachts for charter are a lot. It all depends on the kind of yacht you wish to charter for your sailing holidays. We will give you some insight about sailing catamarans and sailing yachts to help you decide what kind of yacht to charter.
- One of the major advantages of a sailing catamaran versus a sailing monohull yacht is their inherent stability. A sailing monohull yacht simply can’t be compared to a sailing catamaran in this regard.
- Stability is a big plus for families with young children or seniors who are not particularly steady on their feet. Because the boat is not as susceptible to the effects of wave action and does not heal the way a sailing monohull yacht does, it is much easier to walk around on deck and within the interior of the boat while sailing.
Cooking on board
- Anyone who may be prone to seasickness will feel the effects of motion much less aboard a sailing catamaran than they might on a monohull sailboat.
The added stability on a catamaran makes the cook’s job a lot less challenging both while underway and at anchor. Catamarans don’t rock and roll the way sailing monohull yachts do.
more points on SAILING CATAMARANS TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO CHARTER A YACHT…
More living space onboard the catamarans
- Catamarans generally provide far more living space in the main salon, galley and cockpit, than the space found aboard similarly priced monohull sailing yachts. Their cabins are often more spacious too and even the smallest type of sailing catamaran or motor catamaran in the yacht fleet line has stand up headroom in each cabin, so this can make your sailing holidays more comfortable when chartering a boat.
- Because of the boat layout, there is usually more privacy on a catamaran than on a monohull sail boat and if you have children aboard, there is greater separation from the main living space and the cabins, making it easier for the kids to fall asleep at a reasonable hour.
- The shallow draft of a catamaran allows you to anchor in shallower water which means you can be closer to the beach than almost all types of other sailing boats.
- Many of the newer catamarans have raised or flybridge helms. No monohull sailboat can beat the visibility from the helm provided on most modern and latest models of catamaran yachts.
- The galley, main salon and cockpit are all on one level, above the water line … making life aboard as well as your view much more enjoyable.
- Because the majority of living space is above the waterline, you get much better flow through ventilation on a catamaran making the need for air conditioning somewhat less important during the daylight hours. This is one of the reasons you charter a yacht.
- In almost all cases, you do not have to race around stowing things or using bungee cords to keep things in place, the moment you decide to set sail. Most things stay put even in moderately rough seas.
- Because catamarans don’t have a big heavy keel loaded with lead, even if you hole the boat, it will float. New catamaran yachts have so much buoyancy built in that they are next to impossible to sink.
- Catamarans are usually pretty easy to dock because you have two motors and two rudders. No need for a bow thruster.
- Most catamarans can turn 360 degrees within their own length. Nearly no monohull sailing yacht can do that.
- Catamarans are usually faster than monohull sailing yachts, particularly on downwind runs, reaches and broad reaches, although now new sailing boats are faster.
It’s less tiring to sail a catamaran than it is to sail a monohull yacht. Sailing flat has definite advantages. This depends on the kind of sailing holiday you want when you charter a boat.
- If you are into SCUBA diving, carrying tanks and all the assorted equipment is much easier on a catamaran. It’s also a lot easier in many cases to board a catamaran on the sugar scoops than it is on many sailing monohull yachts. Although many modern monohull sailing boats do have huge swim platforms that raise and lower electronically … so in that case, it’s a wash.
- Have you ever seen a monohull sailing yacht with a trampoline for sunbathing or lounging in the moonlight, while stargazing … with your sweetheart by your side! How much more romantic does it get than that?
SAILING MONOHULL YACHTS PROS
- You can’t beat a monohull sailboat for good looks. Well most of them anyway. There are some pretty homely sailing boats available for charter out there, but in comparison to most catamarans, even the homely monohull sailing yachts come out ahead of the sailing catamarans. Monohull Sailing yachts are just a whole lot better looking. Whatever yacht type or yacht size you choose to charter, sailing boats are prettier.
- A Monohull sail boat will tack quickly, is much more manoeuvrable and is faster to respond to the helm than a sailing catamaran.
- Monohull sailing yacht slice through the water effortlessly … and without the slapping that some sailing catamarans or power catamarans (with low bridge decks) often produce.
Thrill of sailing
- As much as some claim sailing “flat”, as you will on a catamaran has major advantages, healing is great fun. Not much can match the exhilaration of sailing a monohull yacht… and that’s a fact!
- In an anchorage, a monohull sail boat usually swings much less than a cat if placed side by side.
- Monohull sailing yacht of equal sleeping capacity and equipment are generally less expensive to charter than a catamaran. You have to check prices before you charter a boat.
Have you made your decision which type of yacht to charter?
In both types of yachts it is very important whether the sailing catamaran of the sailing yacht is a new boat or not. You can find yachts for charter of all kinds. Some are new yachts while some others are older yachts and it has a difference in the price when chartering a yacht.
… but in the end, selection for yacht charter boils down to four major qualifiers:
- Personal preference.
- What suits your group best.
- Your holiday budget.
- Yacht availability for your chosen dates.
Now you are ready to charter a yacht. Holidays on board a yacht whether a sailing yacht or a power catamaran or sailing catamaran are the best. You can charter any type of yacht or size of yacht you wish.